[MacPerl] deleting a line again

let me explain further, what I am probably trying to ask:
almost always, the line i want to remove is the first line in the
file and it begins with a ">".
i want to remove this line and then close the file.

is it possible to do this? is there a delete line command, that will
remove the line and not leave a empty line behind?

thanks