Re: [MacPerl] Hi-bit characters in regex's

At 23.10 -0500 2000.04.15, Kevin van Haaren wrote:
>First, if a font has accented characters they always seem to fall in the
>same character code.  Most alphanumeric fonts have the accented
>characters.  So while not a complete standard, there is some
>standardization.

You mean an accented character in one font is always the same character
code as the same character in another font?  No, this isn't true.  This is
only true when the two character encodings are the same.  A 'c' with a
cedilla (that is, 'з') in MacRoman is decimal 231 in Latin-1 encodings, and
141 in MacRoman encodings.  If you found that they are always the same,
then you are probably testing only MacRoman fonts (or Latin-1 fonts, etc.).
Almost all non-dinbats English-alphabet fonts on Mac OS are MacRoman, so
just comparing fonts won't help much.  I have several Latin-1 fonts for Mac
OS, encluding Latin-1 versions of ProFont and Times.

So there are standards, and most of your fonts on Mac OS will follow the
same standard: MacRoman.

>Second, the character codes for the accented characters are different between
>mac and windows (anyone surprised by this please raise your hand).

Windows has its own encoding, yes.  ProFont also comes in a
Windows-encoding version, along with the MacRoman and Latin-1 versions.

>Third, my use, in filenames seems to be taken care of by the various apps that
>move the files.  For example, dragging and dropping a file named "ькт"
>from the
>mac to VirtualPC 3.0/Win98 the filename is retained correctly.  the same
>happens when Toast burns a cd in the hybrid Joliet/HFS format.

Yeah, I believe most software know the encoding differences and make the
appropriate conversions.

--
Chris Nandor       |     pudge@pobox.com      |     http://pudge.net/
Andover.Net        | chris.nandor@andover.net | http://slashcode.com/