Re: [MacPerl] Querying audio CD for track pre-play times

pudge@pobox.com (Chris Nandor) wrote:

>At 10.37 -0400 2000.04.19, David Ackerman wrote:
>>The information you are looking for on the compact disc is in the program
>>area of the Q subcode track.  The program area [mode 1] contains track
>>numbers, index numbers, track time, and absolute time.  The track running
>>time is set to 0 at the beginning of each track and increases till the end
>>of the track.  At the beginning of the pause, time decreases until 0 is
>>reached at the end of the pause. and so on till the disc lead out.
>>
>>Further a pause can be identified by the index number (X).  When set to
>>00, X designates a pause between tracks.  A non-zero X indicates index
>>points within the track.  A vaule of 01 designates the lead out.
>>
>>hope this helps some.
>
>Most likely.  See the DV22 technote for more info on how to do this kind of
>thing with Mac OS.
>
>    http://developer.apple.com/technotes/dv/dv_22.html

Great, I'll spend some time with this.  Thanks, both!

Now I'm having a different problem.  I've got 2 CD drives (one original IDE,
one SCSI CD-RW), but AudioCD::Mac doesn't seem to work with that.  It's got a
hard-coded value to identify the drive, which is causing it to fail for me.  It
looks like this was an anticipated difficulty:

     short
     _GetDrive()
         CODE:
         short           drvRefNum;

         /* Multiple CD drives ... ? */
         if (gLastMacOSErr = OpenDriver("\p.AppleCD", &drvRefNum))
             XSRETURN_UNDEF;

         RETVAL = drvRefNum;

         OUTPUT:
         RETVAL

Any chance that the ID string could be passed in as a parameter?  Or at lease
tell me what the error was?  Not that I know what I should pass as a parameter,
but...

  Ken Williams                             Last Bastion of Euclidity
  ken@forum.swarthmore.edu                            The Math Forum