[MacPerl] Unerase CompactFlash

Like Patrick Ion, the CD discussion had me wondering (day dreaming) if Perl
could be harnessed to unerase a CompactFlash used in digital photography.

It's easy enough to pop the DOS-formatted device into a PowerBook, copy the
JPEGs and throw everything into the trash. And just as easy to skip the
second step (gulp!).

But you can't unerase the DOS device using Mac utilities, and it appears
unless you have deleted in Windows, the latest Norton can't restore
anything. Older Nortons also seem to fail (as well as DS95, BTW) to find
the first cluster they need to unerase the directory.

It would be really nice to have a MacPerl utility that could unerase the
DOS-formatted card. Or copy the contents of the card to another volume,
parsing the JPEGs according to the data in their headers.

[We now return to our regularly scheduled programming ...]

Mike Pasini
mike.pasini@uwreport.com