Re: [MacPerl] Trouble with CGI

Christopher asks:

>I downloaded some [CGI scripts], and tried to run them from a form...
>I got repeated "Document contains no data" errors...
>I suspect that it is due to the fact that I am not going through a web-server

That is almost certainly correct.

>I would like to know how one reccomends testing a CGI script from
>MacPerl, without going through the server.

1) If your CGI is based on CGI.pm, then there is a testing mode.
I've not used it so I am not sure exactly how you make it work or if
it will solve your problem, but I am fairly certain you won't be
calling your CGI from a form.

2) What's wrong with going through a server?
    a. The Quid Pro Quo web server is very good and it's available in a free
       version.
    b. Current versions of Mac OS contain a built-in web server (Personal Web
       Sharing) that frequently is adequate for CGI testing.

>once I have it loaded in the cgi-bin of a server application
>directory, do I have to log in to my own domain?

If you use a web server, which I strongly recommend, then yes.
Probably you won't bother with a domain, but rather just use whatever
IP address you have set up in the TCP/IP control panel.

I realize this is sketchy, so think about what you want to do and
come back to ask your next set of questions as often as you'd like.

Note, however, that there is a MacPerl mailing list just for
discussion of CGIs:

macperl-webcgi@macperl.org

It is the better place to ask your questions.

-David-
David Steffen, Ph.D.
President, Biomedical Computing, Inc. <http://www.biomedcomp.com/>
Phone: (713) 610-9770 FAX: (713) 610-9769 E-mail: steffen@biomedcomp.com