[MacPerl] Trouble with CGI

I am new to perl, and very, very, new to CGI.  I learned Perl with
the intent of using it for CGI.

Before I actually got started in my CGI self-education, I thought
that I would look at some other CGI scripts.  I downloaded some, and
tried to run them from a form.

However, when I did this, I got repeated "Document contains no data"
errors.  I am wondering what is causing this.

I suspect that it is due to the fact that I am not going through a
web-server application, such as apache, but rather am just invoking
the script as one would test any old HTML file.  I went looking on
this, and it seems as if one must go through such an application, for
it is Apache or such itself that launches the application, and then
returns the data.

I am wandering if I am right, or am just thinking too hard, and
really the problem is something much simpler.

If I am indeed right, then I would like to know how one reccomends
testing a CGI script from MacPerl, without going through the server.
Also, once I have it loaded in the cgi-bin of a server application
directory, do I have to log in to my own domain, or can I just do an
open-->file-->(whatever the form name would be) option.

Thank you for your help.