[MacPerl] End to 'Newbie list question'... (24Apr00)

Bert,

Sorry to be so far behind on the news lists. I caught the thread you
started with your quote from "Perl for Dummies" (2nd Ed.,) pg. 100:
 ___

  Specifying Slices of Lists

  What happens if you want to address just one element of the list,
  and not the list in its entirety? Because lists are ordered, you can
  refer to each element by its numbered place in the list. You can
  say to Perl "Set the variable $Dub to the value of the 3rd element
  of the list @music." For example,

  $Dub = @Music(2);
 ___

This is a TYPO. If you would read farther on the same page and on
the following pages, you will see that square brackets [..] dominate.
This mistake should never have passed the editors, but c'est la vie!

Actually, there are worse examples in MPPE. Sorry! I like the book,
but good editors are going away (as actually knowing how to spell).
A classic case is "The Cathedral and the Bazaar" - great book, but
in need of professional editing. I have many Perl books, 'animal' or
otherwise, and the proper use of splice and slice [..] is documented.

Also, refer to the current issue of PerlMonth (www.perlmonth.com);
there's a column "Begin { Perl }" which handles splice and slice [..].

BTW, I downloaded your draft tutorial on MacPerl. Not bad! Teach!
looks great...in fact I downloaded a copy from their web site for me.

Keep up the good work, but please read your books more closely?

Peace...

Keith Trenton
kazemori@earthlink.net

"FTB"