Re: [MacPerl] TIFF decoding

On Sat, 09 Sep 2000 07:21:06 -0500, Richard L. Grubb wrote:

>I have a received a TIFF file from an overseas friend that I have not
>been able to view with any of my viewers either at home or at work. I
>have studied the format of the file, and per the TIFF 6.0 spec, I
>don't see anything wrong with it yet. It uses JPEG compression and
>YCbCr Colors. Is there a MacPerl module or package I can get that
>will help me to display this picture?

Not MacPerl...

In my experience, Photoshop can open a lot more "TIFF" files than any
other package, especially the free software. If you can ask somebody in
your neighourhood to convert it into a fomat that you can view, that
most definitely would be the simplest short term solution.

As for free software, the most complete package is libTIFF. Try to find
some viewer-convertor that is based upon this library. I don't know
about Perl, but it does look as if Python does have support for it.

A web search plus some manual searching (the old URL disidn't exist)
brought me to this FTP directory. It sure looks rather promising.

	<ftp://ftp.cwi.nl/ftp/pub/jack/mac/>

Oh, and if your TIFF is based upon JPEG compression, you'll need JPEG
support too. Yep, same URL.

And if anybody succeeds in doing anything practical with all this,
please let us know. It probably will interest quite a number of people.

--
	Bart.