Re: [MacPerl] cpan-mac

At 14:37 -0400 2000.09.12, Paul Schinder wrote:
>At 2:06 PM -0400 9/12/00, Paul Schinder wrote:
>>At 1:42 PM -0400 9/12/00, Chris Nandor wrote:
>>>I am working on a cpan-mac update, and for various reasons, I am unable to
>>>build new versions of any of the precompiled modules.  Does anyone think we
>>>really need new updated versions of Compress::Zlib, Digest::MD5, or
>>>Storable right now?  And how about any other modules on MMP?
>>>
>>>    http://pudge.net/mmp/
>>>
>>>Basically, I am saying this: I won't try to figure out how to build new
>>>versions now unless it is necessary for something.
>>
>>If you're using one of the beta CPAN.pm's as a base (1.57_xx), be
>>sure to turn off using Storable to cache data.  Otherwise, you will
>>have to build Storable.  Also, my cpan-mac hasn't been working since
>>I upgraded File::Spec to the latest, so you might want to watch out
>>for that and see if you notice anything or can figure out what's
>>wrong.  I haven't had a chance to investigate.
>
>I should mention what the problem is, in case someone else has a
>chance to look into it or is seeing the same thing.  You can install
>a single module, and that usually works.  But the next one you try to
>install in the same instance of CPAN won't:

I could duplicate it, but reverting to Archive::Tar 0.21 fixed it.  Could
you try the same thing?  Apparently something Bad happens in Archive::Tar
0.22.  I put some debugging in CPAN.pm like this:

  print "foo\n", `pwd`, "bar\n";

The second time through, when it fails, `pwd` returns nothing at all.
That's ungood.

--
Chris Nandor                      pudge@pobox.com    http://pudge.net/
Open Source Development Network    pudge@osdn.com     http://osdn.com/