Re: [MacPerl] [ Somewhat OFFTOPIC ] Mac OS X Developer Tools

At 16:51 -0700 2000.10.16, Wilfredo Sanchez wrote:
>On Saturday, October 14, 2000, at 05:12 PM, Chris Nandor wrote:
>
>> Well, gcc is GPL.  So are many other things that come with Darwin and are
>> standard tools, like bash, binutils, etc.  Either way, they cannot restrict
>> BSD-licensed redistribution, either.  They can say that I cannot
>> redistribute the developer CD-ROM, but they cannot say that I cannot
>> redistribute free software portions of that CD-ROM licensed under the GPL,
>> BSD, or similar licenses.
>
>  GPL says we have to provide a distribution under GPL terms, not that all
>distributions are under GPL terms, so you aren't entirely correct there.

The distribution is not under GPL terms.  But gcc, binutils, etc., are.
Same thing with the BSD programs.  You cannot relicense them, so they are
therefore still under the original licenses, which state that I can
distribute them freely.

That's what I was saying; I cannot distribute your distribution, but I can
distribute the portions of it that are licensed under free software
licenses like the GPL and BSD licenses.

--
Chris Nandor                      pudge@pobox.com    http://pudge.net/
Open Source Development Network    pudge@osdn.com     http://osdn.com/