Re: [MacPerl] [ Somewhat OFFTOPIC ] Mac OS X Developer Tools

On Saturday, October 14, 2000, at 05:12 PM, Chris Nandor wrote:

> Well, gcc is GPL.  So are many other things that come with Darwin and are
> standard tools, like bash, binutils, etc.  Either way, they cannot restrict
> BSD-licensed redistribution, either.  They can say that I cannot
> redistribute the developer CD-ROM, but they cannot say that I cannot
> redistribute free software portions of that CD-ROM licensed under the GPL,
> BSD, or similar licenses.

  GPL says we have to provide a distribution under GPL terms, not that all
distributions are under GPL terms, so you aren't entirely correct there.  The
Darwin CVS server guarantees that there is such a distribution available. In any
case, the click-wrap business is there because most of the stuff there is not
GNU tools.

  And yes, one can restrict BSD-licensed redistribution.  It's done all the
time.  We don't, but it certainly can be done.

	-Fred

Wilfredo Sánchez, wsanchez@apple.com
Open Source Engineering Lead
Apple Computer, Inc., Core Operating System Group
1 Infinite Loop, Cupertino, CA 94086, 408.974-5174