Re: [MacPerl] [ Somewhat OFFTOPIC ] Mac OS X Developer Tools

At 17:32 -0500 2000.10.14, Kevin van Haaren wrote:
>At 5:36 PM -0400 10/14/00, Chris Nandor wrote:
>>They are now available on http://www.apple.com/developer/, although you
>>need a (free) developer account.
>
>It's a 70mb download (tar format).  Something to consider before
>hoping through all the hoops to get a developer account

70MB is nothing!  :)

>>Though I wouldn't be surprised to see someone bundle up the GNU/BSD tools
>>separately from the site, since Apple can't legally restrict their
>>redistribution.
>
>Mine's downloading now, so I'm not sure, but are GNU tools included?
>Seems like the click-license agreement i had to accept would not be
>GPL compatible (included a non-disclosure clause for one thing).  I
>figured only BSD license stuff would be included.

Well, gcc is GPL.  So are many other things that come with Darwin and are
standard tools, like bash, binutils, etc.  Either way, they cannot restrict
BSD-licensed redistribution, either.  They can say that I cannot
redistribute the developer CD-ROM, but they cannot say that I cannot
redistribute free software portions of that CD-ROM licensed under the GPL,
BSD, or similar licenses.

--
Chris Nandor                      pudge@pobox.com    http://pudge.net/
Open Source Development Network    pudge@osdn.com     http://osdn.com/