Re: [MacPerl] calling xcmds/xcfns

>I just succeeded in using the xcfn in RealBasic. (BTW, the xcfn
>accesses the OS's Japanese morpheme analysis library). A very minimal
>example without any error checking is:
>
>dim mystring, errorString as string
>
>errorString = LAA("open")
>mystring = LAA("convert","ã¶ìØäJî‚")
>errorString = LAA("close")
>EditField1.text = mystring
>
>(The garbage string is supposed to be Japanese.)
>
>The same thing in MacPerl should look like
>
>package LAA;
>MacPerl::LoadExternals("LAA.xcmd");
>
>LAA("Open");
>$abc = LAA("convert","ã¶ìØäJî‚");
>LAA("close");
>
>print $abc . "\n";
>
>When I try to run this, however, I get the error
>
># Undefined subroutine &LAA::LAA called.
>File 'Macintosh HD:Desktop Folder:LAA Test'; Line 5

I don't know for sure, so I waited to see if someone else could help but
since no one has here's my thoughts....

Since you named the package "LAA" try...
   &LAA::LAA("Open");
   $abc = LAA::LAA("convert","ã¶ìØäJî‚");
   &LAA::LAA("close");

Other thoughts, in case the previous suggestion doesn't work...
  - Try putting the "LAA.xcmd" file in the "lib" folder
    contained in the MacPerl folder to make sure MacPerl can find it.

  - Are you sure "LAA.xcmd" is the exact name?
    I seem to remember that case matters.
    I think the ones I've worked with ended in ".XFCN" rather than "xcmd".

David Seay
http://www.mastercall.com/g-s/