Re: [MacPerl] MacPerl and FileMaker via DBI?

Hi Roland,

>I am new to the Mac and have got the following problem:
>There is an existing Perl application that uses the
>Perl DBI-interface running on a unix server.
>I now need to move that over to a mac server accessing
>FileMaker (and using macperl :).
>I have seen that there is an implementation of DBD also
>available for macperl.

What you really mean is DBI, the Database Interface module; DBDs are
the Database Drivers. DBI for Mac is available from CPAN:
http://www.perl.com/CPAN/authors/id/CNANDOR/DBI-1.08-bin-2-MacOS.tar.gz

>Now my questions: is there an implementation of something
>like DBD:FileMaker? Has anybody used it?

Short answer: No!  -- I guess there will never be such a driver.

>If no, are there any other possibilites to access
>FileMaker from Perl? How big will the effort be to
>change the existing sql to the 'FileMaker statements'?

There are two solutions that come to mind:

1. Access FileMaker via AppleEvents. You will need Chris Nandor's
Mac::Glue Module, available from http://pudge.net/macperl/ .

2. If you own the JDBC driver for FM,  know how to build a Java
application on the Mac and your Mac is reasonable fast, then you may
want to use the DBD::JDBC driver. I've recently posted an article to
this mailing list that introduces this driver. If you are interested,
send me an email and you will get a copy of this article.

Btw, you are not the first person that asked this question about FM.
Do yourself a favour and browse through the archives of this list
(search for FileMaker, FM Pro etc.):
http://bumppo.net/search/macperl.html  (You will get lots of hits :)

>Well, a lot of questions...
>
>Thanks in advance,