Re: [MacPerl] A problem with mail

>Hello all,
>
>I've just tried to install Graham Barr's "MailTools-1.1002" from the
>MacPerl CD-ROM. I dropped the "Mail" folder into my "site_perl"
>folder. "Mail" contains both "Header.pm" and "Internet.pm".
>
>However I haven't been able to send any mail. Every time I try I get
>the error message
>   # Can't locate auto/Mail/Internet/smtpsend.al in @INC.
>   File 'IntHD:Languages:MacPerl Ÿ:lib:AutoLoader.pm'; Line 38
>   ( Line 38 is:   eval {require $name}; )
>
>What is the problem? I can't figure it out. Does anyone have any ideas?
>
>I'm attaching the script I was trying to execute below. It is
>modelled on a script from "How do I send/read mail?" in
>"perlfaq9.pod".
>
>Thanks for your help.
>
>Regards,
>
>Vic

Hi Vic,

your script isn't the problem. Your installation of the MailTools
module isn't correct. Don't simply drop the Mail folder into your
site_perl folder. Drop the zipped (or expanded) module/folder on
Chris Nandor's installme.plx droplet (which comes with his cpan-mac
module, available from
<http://www.perl.com/CPAN-local/authors/id/CNANDOR/> ). Internet.pm
uses auto loaded methods (every sub after the magic __END__). During
the installation process, the installer will take care that all of
these auto loaded methods will be written as a xxx.al file to the
:site_perl:auto:Mail:Internet: folder (notice the Autosplit lines in
the MacPerl window during installation). In your installation, the
file 'smtpsend.al' (the .al file for the smtpsend sub) is missing --
and that's what the error message says.

You may want to do the autosplitting by hand (but I don't recommend
that). The following script will do the job (please specify full
paths; see AutoSplit.pm for details):

___________
#! perl

use AutoSplit;
autosplit("IntHD:Languages:MacPerl Ÿ:site_perl:Mail:Internet.pm",
	"IntHD:Languages:MacPerl Ÿ:site_perl:auto:", 0, 1, 0);

___________

And that's the expected output:

AutoSplitting Mail::Internet (IntHD:Languages:MacPerl
Ÿ:site_perl:Mail:Internet.pm =>
IntHD:Languages:MacPerl Ÿ:site_perl:auto:Mail:Internet)
   writing IntHD:Languages:MacPerl Ÿ:site_perl:auto:Mail:Internet:reply.al
   writing IntHD:Languages:MacPerl
Ÿ:site_perl:auto:Mail:Internet:add_signature.al
   writing IntHD:Languages:MacPerl Ÿ:site_perl:auto:Mail:Internet:sign.al
   writing IntHD:Languages:MacPerl Ÿ:site_perl:auto:Mail:Internet:_prephdr.al
   writing IntHD:Languages:MacPerl Ÿ:site_perl:auto:Mail:Internet:smtpsend.al
   writing IntHD:Languages:MacPerl Ÿ:site_perl:auto:Mail:Internet:nntppost.al
   writing IntHD:Languages:MacPerl Ÿ:site_perl:auto:Mail:Internet:escape_from.al
   writing IntHD:Languages:MacPerl
Ÿ:site_perl:auto:Mail:Internet:unescape_from.al

Now, your script should work.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,
--Thomas