From: Peter Scott <Peter@PSDT.com>
To: <fwp@technofile.org>
Cc: <larry@wall.org>
Sent: Sunday, August 08, 1999 6:19 PM
Subject: [FWP] Perl gender?

If this isn't fun enough for this list I'm sure I'll hear about it :-)

I found myself at a point in writing a book where I wanted to describe Perl
with a specific gender pronoun ('he' or 'she').  Never mind why; it's a
long story.  But naturally I wondered which one it should be.  So I thought
I would put it to a vote (although any response from Larry Wall will be
weighted greater than all the other votes put together, just so you know
:-).

Do you think of Perl as male or female (and if it hasn't occurred to you
before - as it hadn't to me - then you may deliver a snap
judgement).  Ingenious justifications welcome.  I present some of my own
below (and some of the most incendiary flame bait I've ever posted).

Arguments for male:

Oriented towards power tools.
Chafes at the idea of natural limits.
Violent vocabulary: bind, chop, die, kill, tie, ...

Arguments for female:

Often figures out what you meant even when you said something else.
Favors multiple ways of saying the same thing.
Disposed toward poetry.

--
Peter Scott
Pacific Systems Design Technologies