Re: [MacPerl-Porters] Building MacPerl extensions with CodeWarrior

Chris Nandor wrote:

> At 00.33 -0800 1999.11.02, Simon Fraser wrote:
> >I've just struggled for several hours trying to build MacPerl, following the
> >instructions in the back of the book. After failing to find a CW 11 CD,
> >and noticing the requirement for the obscure NuToolsLib.o, I gave up.
> >
> >This is unfortunate, as I have a need to write a simple Perl extension
> >to do C++ name unmangling, and want to call a 1-liner provided by
> >Metrowerks in PPCToolsLib.o.
>
> You do not need to build MacPerl to build extensions.

I tried to build the MoreFiles extension in the MacPerl distribution,
to get an idea of how the process worked. But that didn't work unless
I had the folder of obsolete CW libraries from CW 11.

> >Does anyone have a handy CodeWarrior project that will aid in building
> >perl extensions?
>
> See http://www.macperl.com/depts/Tutorials/ for all the work Arved has done
> on XS and SWIG for MacPerl.

Cool, I'll have a look.

> >Also, I can't help but wonder how much simpler the build process would be
> >if 68k and CFM68k support were abandoned. Is this a reasonable thought
> >at this stage?
>
> I am not sure if it will be necessary.  The build process is being reworked
> for the next version, so we'll see.

That's good news! We have the odd stability problem here with MacPerl, and
I'd like to be able to get a debug build to run with for a while to track
down problems.

Simon