Re: [MacPerl-Porters] On with the show; Volunteers Wanted!

On Sat, 13 May 2000, Matthias Ulrich Neeracher wrote:

> That's precisely what I did two days ago (See my postings in p5p). I omitted

Missed it sorry - I am unsubscribed (can't stand the heat there - I
suppose it's gotten better with moderation though).

> most of the xsubpp patches because I'll have to first write *documentation* for
> the features they introduce as well. In any case, those might not get accepted
> anytime soon.
>
> In summary, I don't think there is any longterm need for any particular patch,
> but it might well be that at any point in time, MacPerl could be slightly out
> of sync with the perl distribution in a few spots, so I'd think that there's
> always the possibility of a patch being included.

After I sent my email yesterday I too considered this.  In fact it was
painfully illustrated on the vmsperl list recently by some trailing
installation bugs that someone stumbled into but that oldtimers were able
to ignore/workaround.  Yes the need to patch things may always be there
(unfortunately) in which case matters boil down to a choice between
recommending the port of GNU patch or using ppt patch.  I guess you can
always still point out that both are available.

Peter Prymmer