Re: [MacPerl-WebCGI] MacPerl and WebSTAR

Hi Trish.

>Hi everyone
>
>I am new to MacPerl and have a few questions on executing scripts.
>
>If I would like to use an html form which utilizes a Perl script, does the
>computer need to be run in server mode under WebSTAR for example?

Yes, but the term "server mode" is misleading. You would call a Mac
that runs a web server like WebSTAR as its only task (and serves
pages to the Internet) a dedicated (web-) server --  in a sense, this
Mac is in server mode.

If you would like to run CGI-scripts on your Mac at home (I think
this is what you really mean), then you need to configure your TCP/IP
settings (and thereafter your web server). I am not sure if you
already know how to configure TCP/IP  for an "offline web server
mode", so I will show you the needed steps (skip this description if
you've already done the configuration):

     1. Open the TCP/IP control panel.
     2. Choose 'Configurations...' (apple-K) from the File menu.
     3. Duplicate a configuration and give it the name
'WebSTAR-offline' for example.
     4. Choose this newly created configuration to make it the current one.
     5. Either choose AppleTalk (MacIP) or Ethernet in the 'Connect
via' pop-up menu.
     5a. AppleTalk (must be activated):
           Choose 'Using MacIP Manually'  in the 'Configure' pop-up menu.
           Assign the IP-Address: 192.168.0.1 for example will work.
     5b. Ethernet
           Choose 'Manually' in the 'Configure' pop-up menu.
           Assign the IP-Address: 192.168.0.1 will work.
           A sub-mask will automatically be added, so there is no need
to assign one.
     6. In the 'Options...' Dialog, make sure TCP/IP is active and
uncheck the 'Load only when needed' check-box.
     7. Quit the TCP/IP control panel and save the configuration.

     You may want to use a Hosts File. Instead of typing the
IP-Address 192.168.0.1 every time you want to access
     something through your browser, you'll be able to use a human
friendly domain name, for example
     http://www.patricia.com/. Use a text editor and copy the
following line to it (exactly as shown):

     www.patricia.com 		A  	192.168.0.1

     Save this file as 'WebSTAR.hostfile' for example.  In the TCP/IP
control panel, assign this file as your Hosts File.

Done with TCP/IP :).

If you want to learn more about Open Transport-TCP/IP and Hosts
files, you may want to download the OT 1.1 Manual (no newer one
available):
http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/German/Macintosh/System/System_7.5_Update_2.0/D-OT_1.1_Manual.sea.bin
(340 KB)
Don't worry about the "German" in this URL, the manual is written in
English. It can also be found on the System 8.5 CD (:CD
Extras:Network Extras:OT Extras), but on the System 9.0 CD it was
removed (I wonder why).

I have no experiences with WebSTAR. At least you'll need to configure
the root directory and may be a directory for CGIs (cgi-bin for
example). Remember to save your MacPerl scripts as 'CGI Script'.
Please note: Some servers (Quid Pro Quo for example) may crash  if
you start the server _before_ changing your TCP/IP configuration to
the offline config. First change your TCP/IP configuration, then
start the web server!

>Also, if the computer is run in server mode, are any of the other Mac
>programs (ie. Microsoft Office applications etc.) still able to be
>accessed?

Yes. But if you want to access the Internet, you have to change your
TCP/IP settings back to the online settings (most likely a PPP
configuration).

>Thanks for your help,
>Trish

Hope that helps.