[MacPerl] How to decode MacBinary with MacPerl

Hi there!

Basically I am looking for a way to convert a MacBinary file
to a Mac file with MacPerl.

I run a download with the help of ftplib from within MacPerl.
In order to restore the resource fork the files need to be
stored as MacBinary on the UNIX ftp server. Transformation
can only take place on the Mac side.

Programs like Fetch or StuffitExpander automatically handle
this situation. But I want to avoid any additional programs.

Has anybody ever written a piece of Perl code which is able
to decode MacBinary?
Is there any XCMD available?

TIA

Axel