Re: [MacPerl] Applescript and AppleEvents from within MacPerl

At 4:09 PM 4/10/96, Matthias Ulrich Neeracher wrote:
>Bart Lateur <color@pophost.eunet.be> writes:
>
>>I've noticed that MacPerl allows the programmer to include bits of
>>Applescript code. This is a very impressive gimmick, although very useless.
>
>Ouch! That hurt!

Also very untrue.  I have several thousand lines of production code which
use ascripts in many places.  It works just fine.

>>If you try to "compile" an Applescript script from within the script editor,
>>it may take well over half a minute to do this, for a 10k source file (about
>>3 pages). But this is only once.
>>
>>In MacPerl, you pass the applescript as *text* to the function call, so it
>>gets compiled *every time* (I believe MacPerl uses the Mac's built-in
>>functionality for this). Try doing *that*, say, 1000 times in a loop!
>
>True.

True but irrelevant.  People keep forgetting that for many things *batch*
programs make far more sense then interactive stuff.  My code runs for
about 4 hours from around 12:30am to 4:30am each night.  Who cares that it
eats up 4 hours doing the work that could be done in 2.  Nobody uses that
mac during that time anyway.  Works like a champ (or even better, like that
stupid pink bunny on TV).  After getting it all written and tinkering with
it, I have had to only fix things 2 times in 15 months.  (Which is probably
more a tribute to the tools than the programmer ;)

Just my little opinion there...

Fred

\ Fred Fenimore                       |   I speak for no one.    /
 \ fredf@nando.net                    |    Sometimes, not      /
  \ The News & Observer           |        even me.          /
   \ Raleigh, NC 27602              |-------------/
    \ Voice : (919) 829-4769   |   Mac Maven        /
     \ Fax  : (919) 829-4808    | (in training)    /