Re: [MacPerl] Question re perl/Tk on Mac

Jon Wright <jon@UNS.com.au> writes:
>I have perl5 running on my Mac (thanks Matthias for a great port)
>and have been playing around with a number of programs that I
>have written on Unix. I have seen a version of tcl/tk for the Mac
>but what I would like to do is to use perl/tk (as I do on Unix).
>
>Why not just load the perl/tk module? It needs to be compiled. At
>this point in time I do not have a compiler for the Mac and I don't
>know enought about Macs to know what sort of C compiler I should use
>(all my experience has been on Unix).
>
>Question: Does anyone have perl/tk running on a Mac? Is there a palce
>         where I can get a copy of this?

No. I've tried to get students interested in the port, but so far, I have found
no sucker^H^H^H^H^H^Hvolunteers. It's probably *not* as easy as a single
recompile.

>Optional: Should I buy a C compiler for my Mac

I don't know.

>         and if so, which one?

Personally, I use Metrowerks Codewarrior, and the MacPerl5 build scripts
currently reflect this to some degree (just as the MacPerl4 build scripts
reflected the use of MPW C and PPCC). If you want to build statically linked
libraries, you will face some nontrivial hurdles if you use any other compiler.

However, the interface for dynamically linked libraries should be completely
open to any compiler, and as soon as there is interest, I'll help any volunteer
adjust the build environment to automatically write dmake-files for other
compilers. I'll also assist anyone interested with doing builds from their
favorite IDE with benevolent neglect :-)

Matthias

-----
   "Have you heard of the new Cambridge compilers ? They distribute
    gear-wear much more evenly"
        -- William Gibson/Bruce Sterling, _The Difference Engine_