re: [MacPerl] Macperl version 5.002?

nadine.and.henry@pobox.com (Henry Laxen) writes;
} Recently I tried to use the libwww collection of scripts, only to encounter
} several files with the statement
}
} require 5.002
}
} I'm running Macperl 507r1m, which apparently doesn't quite hack it.  I've
} searched the mailing list and newsgroup for references to a 5.002 version,
} to no avail.  I guess I have three questions:

To answer question zero, there's a version of libwww-perl-5 that will
work with MacPerl 507r1m at my MacPerl site,
<http://mors.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/MacPerl.html>.  The current version of
libwww-perl-5 will *not* work with MacPerl, as you've discovered.

}
} 1) Is there or will there soon be a Macperl 5.002?

Soon.  An alpha already exists at Matthias' site, <ftp://err.ethz.ch/pub/neeri/MacPerl/Beta>

}
} 2) Is there a document that describes the difference between Macperl 507r1m
} and Perl version 5.002?

MacPerl 507r1m is build on Perl 5.001m.  The major change I know of is
function prototyping, but there are also changes in some modules
(particularly Socket.pm) which affects LWP.

}
} 3) Is there a collection of libwww scripts that compiles under Macperl 507r1m?

See above.  Basically any script you're likely to find that doesn't
"require 5.002" will run under Unix Perl 5.001m.  Whether it will work
under MacPerl is another question, having to do with the OS experience
of the author.  Authors that have only experienced one OS (typically in
this case Unix) tend to believe that every OS on every computer works
the same as the one they use.  It's certainly possible to write
portable Perl, but it isn't common.

}
} Any pointers would be appreciated.
} Gracias,
}
} Nadine & Henry Laxen               Voice/Fax  011 5269 164195
} 524 San Anselmo Ave. #141     (Mazatlan, Mx)
} San Anselmo, CA                        http://www.maztravel.com/
} 94960-2614                                  The rest is silence.  (Hamlet)
---
--------
Paul J. Schinder
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center,