Re: [MacPerl] File too large

On 6/30/96, Akira Hangai wrote me concerning Re: [MacPerl] File too large
at 6:38 AM:

>At 1:58 AM on 6/30/96, you wrote in "[MacPerl] File too large":
>
>>Can anyone tell me how I can open a perl script that is about 1322 lines
>>long?  I keep getting that dreadfull error message that the file is too
>>large.  The script has a lot of comments, but I don't really feel like
>>taking them out, since it shouldn't matter.
>
>MacPerl is capable of open a file that is less than 32k. Your 1322-line
>script must be around 34-35k, that's why you can't open it.
>
>>I have allocated 15Megs of RAM to MacPerl and it still does it.
>
>Due to the reason I stated above, the RAM allocation size does not matter
>at all. It's a limit that MacPerl has (at this moment, anyway).
>
>So, my suggestion is to use some other tool to develop the script, like
>BBEdit or even Word. Once you finish, you can still check the syntax with
>MacPerl even if the file site is over the limit (under the Script menu,
>there is a "Check Syntax" command. You can use that to check the syntax of
>a file of any size).
>
>Hope this helps.

Well this is what I am doing.  It was originally written in BBEdit and I
was trying to open it in MacPerl, thats when I got the error message.

The check syntax works though, thats what I wanted to do anyway.  I didn't
realize that you could do it without having to open it.

Thanks,

Thai Nguyen
     A Mac Evangelist   \/ \/ <http://www.solutions.apple.com/ListAdmin/>