Re: [MacPerl] Programming Perl (2nd ed)

| A friend of mine, who gets press releases from O'Reilly and Assoc, has
| received notice of the second edition of Larry Wall's "Programming Perl":

Hi, I work at ORA and I am working on the Programming Perl (2nd Ed.)
even as we speak.  It's going to the printer next month.  It will
cover all the new stuff in Perl v5.

| >Co-authored by Larry Wall, the creator of Perl, "Programming Perl" is
| >the authoritative guide to Perl version 5.  O'Reilly expects
| >"Programming Perl, second edition," to grow into an approximately
| >800-page Nutshell Handbook by the time it's completed in October.
|
| I don't know about you folks, but in my opinion, an 800-pager is not a
| handbook, it is a weighty TOME.  It may look nice on a shelf but it's not a
| good desk reference.

There is a reference book that we publish (40 pages) by Johan Vromans,
"Perl 5 Desktop Reference" for US $6.95 (ISBN 1-56592-187-9).  It's an
excellent desk reference to compliment the "weighty tome".  :-)

| My copy of PP ed. 1 is well used and well thumbed.  I cringe at the thought
| of thumping around something with similar value but twice the page count.
| I'd much rather see this broken into 2 volumes, possibly packaged as a set.
|
| If you agree, please send mail to Sara Winge (sara@ora.com).  Enough
| commentary may sway their decision.

An interesting point.  Do send us mail!  We take our feedback very
seriously.

--
  /---\                        Erik T. Ray                        /---\
  |(o)|                   O'Reilly & Associates                   |(o)|

computer-generated nonsense:
The vegetarian National Lampoon staff member makes some cinnamon
toast, moved by tender strains of Iranian music, because it was
very early in the morning.