[MacPerl] We're getting Noisy...

In the last few weeks, the signal to noise ratio has dramatically dropped.
I don't want to leave this list- the (increasingly rare) bits of
information are invaluable. I especially appreciate the occasional lines
from Matthias concerning the new areas he's working on. But if you're
reading this, you've probably seen the recent posts from people wondering
why their CGI doesn't work under Apache, how to open a new window in
JavaScript, the guy trying to get free software from god knows where to
work without actually looking at the code, and people trying to work out
the logic of Regex... All (or at least some) of these are good questions,
just completely misplaced and off-topic.

The last thing on earth I want is for Matthias to spend any time managing a
mailing list, and not programming. I also understand the need for people
new to the list to be educated as to the differences between CGI questions,
perl questions and MacPerl questions. I'm not sure how to solve this
problem. Flaming the idiots responsible helps only after they've
transgressed. Moderating the list puts a heavy load on the moderator-
unless it's some kind of automated system set to filter out "CGI" or
"JavaScript" in the subject lines- and that puts an undue load on the
moderatees to avoid the "Secret Code Words" in their posts.

Does anybody have any ideas? Perhaps an Autofaq similar to what is used on
comp.lang.perl.misc? Maybe a FAQ that is mailed to them explaining what to
post & what not to, immediately on signup, with the explicit warning of
permanent unsubscription if the rules are broken? I guess that seems a
little draconian... I'll be glad to donate some spare cycles and coding
time if anyone out there is interested in working out a good, non-insulting
solution to this annoying problem. In the meantime, I guess I'll fool
around with my Eudora filters....

Soapbox off,

Tim

Tim Howland                               VSI
New Media Director           44 N Main, Norwalk, CT 06854
(203) 852-1010, ex. 248             F:(203) 831-5116
thowland@vsicom.com               http://www.vsicom.com