Re:[MacPerl] Perl asynchrinosity and usefulness as CGI development platform

>Well-- what to do??
>
>I'm scared of Unix.. And the thought of surrenduring to NT makes me wanna gag..
>
>At 5:21 PM -0700 on 10/9/96, David C. Kulp wrote:
>

>> It's my sad experience that Macs just aren't up to this task in
>> general.  Perl is great, but the OS strangles it.  I was recently
>> running a computationally heavy and IO-intensive Perl app on my
>> Mac.  As soon as I switched it to the background, the MacOS gave
>> it only 3 out of every 10 seconds of CPU time -- even though nothing
>> else was going on in the foreground.
>>
>> regards,
>> -david kulp.
>

>--
>
>Reuben King <azzy@io.com>
><http://www.compdata.com/~reuben>       \\|//
>                                        (o o)
>=====================================ooO=(U)=Ooo====
>"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for
> the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
>    -- C.S. Lewis
>
>        !!! HARRY BROWNE FOR PRESIDENT '96 !!!
>        !!! http://www.HarryBrowne96.org/  !!!

Look at frontier.  I'm running a decently loaded server, lots of other
things that are automated, and don't have any problems with time in the
background or foreground.  With the upcoming OSA version of MacPerl you'll
be able to run your perl scripts embedded in Frontier's multi-threading
architecture and most of your problems will be solved.

Until then, look at frontier...

Dick

--
Dick Munroe                             munroe@acornsw.com
Acorn Software                          (508) 568 1618 x1

Need a web site? a web server? other web service?  Contact us...