[MacPerl] 5.1.0r2 woes.

The following works fine under 5.0.7r1m. However, when I try to run it
under 5.1.0r2 I get the following error each time I try to use what I want
to be the global functions:
# Variable "$previousFunction" is not imported.
File 'Zip 100:Perl:Dump Data:DumpData'; Line 146
# Global symbol "previousFunction" requires explicit package name.
File 'Zip 100:Perl:Dump Data:DumpData'; Line 146
# Variable "$currentFunction" is not imported.
File 'Zip 100:Perl:Dump Data:DumpData'; Line 146
# Global symbol "currentFunction" requires explicit package name.

  This is a different error than if I tried to declare a global _after_ the
"use strict 'vars'", so I really have no idea what's going on. Any ideas?
Is this a bug? I also tried using "Begin { use strict 'vars'; }", but that
didn't give the desired results (it let me declare globals after the use
strict vars command). It also doesn't work when I put "local" and "my" in
front of the globals (local to the entire program i.e., a global?).

require "CommConnect.pl";

$currentFunction;
$previousFunction;

$wantState;

use strict 'vars';

PrepareTool();
OpenToolConnection();

do {
        StartUp();
} until 0;

rob
--
<mailto: "Robert A. Decker" comrade@umich.edu>
Programmer Analyst - Health Media Research Lab

"Get A Life" quote #5: "In my heart I know you're right, but my perfectly
functioning brain says you're a horse's ass." -Bob Elliott