[MacPerl] 5.10, the pod, and missing icons!!!

Hi.

I recently posted a note about reading stuff in the 'pod'. I discovered
that a more recent version of MacPerl offered something called 'shuck'
which would do away with the need for a web browser.

I downloaded version 5.10, fired it up and used internet config to set
shuck as the appropriate helper. After a few exciting minutes of being
able to read the 'pod' stuff, the machine hung (powerbook 140) and I had
to do a hard reboot.

I then discovered that all my desktop icons had reverted to 'generic' (the
ones the mac uses when it doesn't have a program-specific icon). I've
tried Norton, reinstalling system software, and though the new installed
stuff is o.k., the generic icons are still there.

Does anybody have any idea what caused this and how to fix it?

despondently,

Mike H.