[MacPerl] 5.1.0r2 continual 68k woes

I've downloaded and reinstalled 5.1.0r2 and my stability has been utterly
lost.  While the addition of 5.1.0r2_big has removed the trap reboot problem
I'd previously experienced, now I crash with Errors 1, 2, 15, 25, etc.

use strict; == ok
use diagnostic; == type 1 crash.
use FileHandle; == type 3 crash.

Some of my very simple scripts run acceptably.  Anything interesting crashes
and burns.  Must I install the 'tool' in addition to the normal package and
the big binary?  Does picking install for this mac screw up in some weird
way?

This is just heinous.

-j