Re: [MacPerl] MacPERL crashes - gone (for now;-)

At 10:01 am +0100 06.12.96, Holger Skok wrote:
>I've recently reported experiencing freezes and crashes with the
>latest version of MacPERL on my PMac 7200. The error reported
>by the OS was No. 28 - stack has moved into application heap.
> ... I just installed sys 7.5.5 and - more importantly, maybe, -
>the latest version of BBEdit Lite and everything's been running
>smoothly since then.

MacPerl 5.1.0r2 crashes fairly reliably for me if I launch Navigator 3.0.1,
then MacPerl, then try to run a script with Cmd-R. The error code is, as
you say, 28. If I launch MacPerl first, then Navigator, everything's fine.
I believe this is a known bug.

I have a half-suspicion that it may be somehow connected with the Mercutio
MDEF, for no better reason than that it occasionally features in stack
backtraces following type 28 crashes and I've noticed strange menu
corruptions when switching between applications that use Mercutio (i.e.
Navigator, MacPerl, BBEdit and NewsHopper). I seem to recall that when
MacPerl blows up, the stack backtrace actually includes a reference not
merely to code that's apparently in Mercutio but *also* to Java_awt code
from Navigator. It's almost as if a menu selection is somehow being
diverted to the wrong application simply because they share an MDEF and the
other application crashes because it's trying to execute code in the wrong
context. But that doesn't fit with my model of the MacOS as I understand it.

If I can reproduce the crash, Matthias, would you like a backtrace?

                 angus@pobox.com         http://pobox.com/~angus

  "I am here by the will of the people ... and I           "Metrophage"
   will not leave until I get my raincoat back."          Richard Kadrey