[MacPerl] Updated from Perl4 to Perl5 - nothing works

I really need help.

I just updated both my 68K Mac and PPC Mac from 4.1.8 to 5.0.1r2.

I thought it would be best to update my applications to the new
version. I have several applications that where written under
4.1.8 and saved as System 7 Runtime Version applications. They worked
fine and when I double click on them, they run. No problem.

I installed 5.0.1r2 and moved 4.1.8 to the trash (did not empty trash,
made sure MacPerl was closed). On both systems I selected the "Install Perl for this Mac" option.

I then launched MacPerl (5.0.1r2) and opened one of my applications,
I then did a SAVE and exited MacPerl. I double clicked on the application
and nothing happened - as far as running the application that is.

The menu bar changed to a MacPerl manu bar but that was it - the
script did not run. I noticed that the icon for the application was
no longer the generic application icon (paper with hand holding pencil),
but was the Perl Icon (Pyramid with camel).

What have I done wrong?

I tried starting from scratch. Closed everything.
Launched MacPerl 5.0.1r2 and picked MENU|NEW.
Typed: print "hello, world";
Selected MENU|SAVE AS|RUNTIME VERSION named "test".
Exited MacPerl.
Double clicked "test" icon.
Same result - MacPerl menu bar, no application executed.

Please help!

TIA,
Scott Weaver
sweaver@bluenova.com