[MacPerl] Beginner learning question (Was: Stupid newbie question)

Thank you all who pointed me toward references for beginning to learning
Perl and CGI/Perl references. Also I'm grateful for the lessons in list
protocol.

I apologize for the transgressions of list protocol and I appreciate the
lessons I received. Actually I expected a lot of flame for my poorly
formulated questions and instead I got very civilized responses.

As to my extreme blunder of mentioning my interest in learning to "hack". A
poor choice of words. What I meant to say was I have a great interest in
learning the inner workings of Unix and the internet. I have no plans ever
to cause harm of any kind and I deplore those who do.

The kind of "hacking" I was referring to was that mentioned in the story on
Carolyn Meinel's e-zine, "The Happy Hacker, a Guide to (Mostly) Harmless
Hacking". (Wired - Dec. '96). Her motto is "Hack and Ye Shall Learn".

I wasn't even aware that hacking means to pursue an active interest in
breaking into other people's machines. This is not my intention and
demonstrates my naivete of this  subject.

Obviously no on this list knows of the location of this e-zine. So I
apologize for any disruption and I thank you all for your tolerance and
great suggestions.

Back to the MacPerl discussion. (I hope I understand it someday   ;)

Michael Robinson
Medford, Oregon USA
miker@mind.net

ps. I was fascinated to read Matthias Ulrich Neeracher
<neeri@iis.ee.ethz.ch> statement:

>While tracking a bug in MacPerl, I stumbled across extremely strange code
>in Macintosh Easy Open

I have just recently tracked a nuisance freeze and crash source to
Macintosh Easy Open, of all things. I don't use MacPerl (don't know how
yet) and I've never had trouble with Macintosh Easy Open before. I've
recently upgraded to 7.5.5, OT 1.1.2. I've turned off Macintosh Easy Open
and have had no crashes since.