[MacPerl] Columns

Hallo,

I have a (text) file with the following format:

123420010110010010101  (and so on this way => )
234531111101100101010
678940000010010111010
340151010101110101010
and so on...

Now let's say the first four characters are a PIN number,
the following two characters the subject's age, and so on.
How can I read such a file split in (fixed) columns ?
I would like to insert tabs at the end of each field, creating
a tab-delimited text file.

Thanks for your help, and a happy new year !

# Nico Rozendaal,                                 #
# University of Maastricht,                       #
# Dept. of Psychiatry & Neuropsychology,          #
# Maastricht, The Netherlands.                    #
# e-mail: nico.rozendaal@np.unimaas.nl            #