Re: [MacPerl] MacPerl & Tk Question

On Sun, 19 Jan 1997 Scrapsky@aol.com wrote:

> I am thinking that we would have to contact the keeper of the pTk libraries
> and compile MacPerl with them.  Unfortunately, I don't have Codewarrior (or
> am up to speed with it...) to be of much help at the moment.
>
> The way I understand it for the UNIX side, you have to have Perl, Tcl, and Tk
> together at the same time and then compile Perl to get them to work.  You
> only need Tcl for the extensions in it.  After Perl has been compiled, you
> can trash the Tcl stuff.

Wrong.

You might be able to get the Tcl module to work that way, allowing you to
call Tcl/Tk scripts from MacPerl, but pTk is a different animal.

The pTk distribution on CPAN contains the Tk 4.1 source code,
modified so that it can be compiled as a dynamically-loadable
extension to Perl (via XS). It also contains Perl glue to talk to
the extension.

> Matthias, Do you have any input on meshing MacPerl with Tk?

Now you're asking the right person ;-) You might also want to
ask Nick Ing-Simmons (nik@tiuk.ti.com) (author of Perl/Tk)
and Peter Prymmer (whose address I can't find, but who keeps
the FAQ). Not to mention Ray Johnson, who ported the Tk part
of Tcl/Tk to MacOS.

-- Charlie Stross