Re: [MacPerl] CPAN

At 8:38 AM -0500 on 1/15/97, Chris Nandor wrote:

}At 22:06 1/14/97, Paul J. Schinder wrote:
}>}There are two issues:
}>}1.)  The files need to be properly integrated into CPAN, which means, at
}>}this point, they should be .tar.gz files.
}>
}>"Properly integrated into CPAN" means what?
}
}Well, a module is uploaded into CPAN as one file.  Andreas' software then
}unpacks it, extracts the README file and renames it to match the the
}archive, and then goes through the module itself to find out what to do
}with it.  If it can't do this, then the module will only stay in the
}author's directory and not get placed into the module directories.

I take it that Andreas software assumes a .tar.gz, or does it accept other
formats?  How smart is it?  It seems to me the simplest solution would be
for you or anyone else wanting a MacPerl package in CPAN to create a two
item .tar.gz, a README and the .sit.hqx.  His receiving software could be
modified to put the .sit.hqx (we *really* should be using .sit.bin) and the
README uncompressed into CPAN rather than the .tar.gz file itself.

What does he do with Windows packages?

}
}At least, that is hw I understand it ...
}
}#========================================================================
}I will not aim for the head.
}