Re: [MacPerl] CPAN

At 8:52 1/15/97, Paul J. Schinder wrote:
>I take it that Andreas software assumes a .tar.gz, or does it accept other
>formats?  How smart is it?  It seems to me the simplest solution would be
>for you or anyone else wanting a MacPerl package in CPAN to create a two
>item .tar.gz, a README and the .sit.hqx.  His receiving software could be
>modified to put the .sit.hqx (we *really* should be using .sit.bin) and the
>README uncompressed into CPAN rather than the .tar.gz file itself.

Interesting.

1.)  No, we should use .hqx.  .bin is too unreliable.  I know it is
smaller, but too many people have had problems with it for me to condone
its use.  Just my opinion.
2.)  But if we are going to bother to .tar.gz it anyway, why create the
.sit.hqx?  Almost anyone who uses MacPerl can get at .tar.gz files, simply
because you need it to get at everything else in CPAN.

>What does he do with Windows packages?

I think he can do .zip ...

I think a good gift for the president would be a chocolate revolver.
And since he's so busy, you'd probably have to run up to him and hand
it to him.

        --Jack Handey

Chris Nandor                                              pudge@pobox.com
PGP Key 0xB76E72AD                                      http://pudge.net/