[MacPerl] External Editor Menu in MacPerl 5.1.3

After some playing around, I figured out how to configure the 'editor' menu
in MacPerl. However, the only application that will open the file MacPerl
tells it to is 'Style' and it does nothing with Update.

I have tried a few others with no success. The most that will happen is
that the editor will launch but the document will not be opened.

Here's the list of editors I have tried:

* Alpha 6.x (my preferred editor)
* BBEdit Light 3.x to 4
* SimpleText (no better than Perl's own editor, but I thought I'd try it.)
* Think C (out of desperation)

Could anyone please tell me what I am doing wrong or which applications
will work with this menu option?
I suspect that the answer will be that the menu was configured specifically
for the full version of BBEdit, in which case I will have to do without as
I am not willing to spend that much on another editor when Alpha already
serves my needs so will.

Thanks,
Louis