Re: [MacPerl] External Editor Menu in MacPerl 5.1.3

I use it with Alpha, no problems. Did you use Internet Config to set the
helper for type "editor" to Alpha?

Speaking of this: has anybody made any nice customizations to Alpha's built
in Perl support (I added a couple commands for inserting the #! line, and
for saving as droplet without have a filename dialog, etc). A lot more
could be done (has been done, perhaps).

Or (even better) has anybody modified Vince's Additions (great Alpha
addition which adds vastly improved modes for C, C++, Tcl, but not Perl)?
It does things like header generation, function commenting, intelligent
completion and indentation, etc. I've fixed it up some, but don't have the
time to learn Tcl to really make it perfect -- anybody done it?

>After some playing around, I figured out how to configure the 'editor' menu
>in MacPerl. However, the only application that will open the file MacPerl
>tells it to is 'Style' and it does nothing with Update.
>
>I have tried a few others with no success. The most that will happen is
>that the editor will launch but the document will not be opened.
>
>Here's the list of editors I have tried:
>
>* Alpha 6.x (my preferred editor)
>* BBEdit Light 3.x to 4
>* SimpleText (no better than Perl's own editor, but I thought I'd try it.)
>* Think C (out of desperation)
>
>Could anyone please tell me what I am doing wrong or which applications
>will work with this menu option?
>I suspect that the answer will be that the menu was configured specifically
>for the full version of BBEdit, in which case I will have to do without as
>I am not willing to spend that much on another editor when Alpha already
>serves my needs so will.

Dan Herron                         UC San Diego Dept. of Cognitive Science
herron@cogsci.ucsd.edu             La Jolla, CA 92093-0515