Re: [MacPerl] A Thanks to Paul J. Schinder (fwd)

}According to Matt Childress:
}>
}> At 10:33 AM -0600 2/14/97, Mark Manning/Metrica wrote:
}> >I just wanted to say thanks to Paul for his help.  Pointing
}> >me to the libnet package was a truly wonderful thing.  It
}> >has helped me tremendously.  Thanks again Paul!  :-)
}>
}> Ok, I'll byte (:-))  What's libnet, why's it so great, and where can I
}get int?
}
}I keep loosing the http address.  Paul, can you supply it
}again for everyone?  Thanks.

You can find everything by starting at http://mors.gsfc.nasa.gov/MacPerl.html
}
}LibNet is a set of routines which were originally written
}by Graham Barr <Graham.Barr@tiuk.ti.com>.  Some of the
}documentation was updated by Nathan Torkington
}<gnat@frii.com>.  Paul Schnider took the routines and made
}them work for MacPerl.  They comprise such things as
}FTP.pm, SMTP.pm, NNTP.pm, POP3.pm, and others.  With them,
}getting such things as a graphic image off of another
}system, or putting a new web page up on an ISP, or just
}getting your mail so you can process it is real easy.  :-)
}It took something that I had been working on for weeks and
}allowed me to finish it (even with the major rewrite I had
}to do) in one day.  :-)
}
}One thing to Paul - if he sees and reads this: Why isn't
}your name/address in the files?  It's in the documentation
}but should be in the program's documentation too (IMHO).
}:-)

Because all I've done is the simple job of getting it running under
MacPerl.  Matthias and Graham Barr did all the heavy lifting.  Frankly I
don't know what Graham thinks of it, and given that it's free software, I
don't worry too much about that.  I keep the port up to date, and leave the
credit where it's due.  I know Unix and MacOS well enough to know what
needs to be changed, and what needs to be changed isn't really that much.
In the case of libnet, the hardest part was deciding what to do with
Net::Netrc, and very recently with Net::Config.

--------
Paul J. Schinder
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
Code 693