[MacPerl] Edit menu

I hope this isn't a dumb question, but here goes..

I'm using MacPerl 5.1.3r2 on a 68K, and I have Internet Config setup to
use BBEdit Lite 3.5 as the 'editor'. BBEdit shows up in the macperl
menubar with the 'edit' and 'update' (file and front window) menu
items. Now, I haven't found any doumentation concerning the MacPerl
interface, but I assume that this menu should open files for editing
in BBEdit. The update I'm a little more fuzzy on.

I would probably be able to figure out what the menu items did
by trial and error if it wasn't for one fact: they don't do
much that I can detect.

If I choose 'edit' from the menu and pick a file to edit, bbedit
will start, and no file will be opened. If BBedit was already running,
then I end up in MacPerl. If BBEdit was not running and this 'edit'
call is made then I end up in BBEdit (with no file opened as I said).

Whichever happens, back in MacPerl, the update menu item is always
enabled after this with the name of the files that I chose to 'edit'.
If I update the file (whatever that does) then the file disappears from the
update list.

Those are my symptoms, any diagnosis?

(BTW, other applications that I have set up in internet config
such as Shuck and Netscape have always worked fine with MacPerl,
so maybe this is a BBEdit thing.)

Thanks!

- Dan Griffin
  dang@cs.brandeis.edu