Re: [MacPerl] NNTP and SMTP

Chris R Scheidel <crscheid@planet.syr.edu> writes:
}Could someone please point me to some resources about using MacPERL to
}interface with SMTP and NNTP servers using sockets? Is the socket usage
}similar to PERL for UNIX? I've done some simple socket programming with
}UNIX and PERL but not for MacPERL. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
}Thank you =).

You want Net::SMTP and Net::NNTP, both part of libnet, and possibly MailTools.

<ftp://mors.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/MacPerl/Scripts/libnet-1.05_01.sit.hqx>
(Fix the Config.pm file you find in the Net folder *before using*.  Read
the README.libnet.mac for details.)

<ftp://mors.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/MacPerl/Scripts/MailTools-1.09.sit.hqx>

libnet requires Data::Dumper:

<ftp://mors.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/MacPerl/Scripts/Data-Dumper-2.07.tar.gz>

Take the Dumper.pm.NOXSUB file out of the tar file, put it in a folder
named Data somewhere in your MacPerl search path, and change the name to
Dumper.pm.  Make sure that Dumper.pm is Mac text rather than Unix, and
change if not.

}
}- Chris
}
}ps. I realize I asked more than one question in there seeing as there is a
}difference between basic socket programming and NNTP interfacing. But
}any help anywhere would be great. Thanks.

There's no need to reinvent this wheel.  There's plenty of examples of
proper sockets programming sitting in your MacPerl folder if you want to
learn how, but it's not necessary.

}
}[--------------------------------------------------------------------------]
}  Christopher Scheidel				   crscheid@planet.syr.edu