Re: [MacPerl] Problems with seek()? (fwd)

On Thu, 1 May 1997 09:36:12 -0500 (CDT) mark@cheers.jsc.nasa.gov (Mark
Manning/Metrica) wrote:

>According to Paul J. Schinder:
>> This works just fine for me.  Fails for a 19 byte file, works for a
>20.
>>
>> MacPerl handle's seek correctly (at least 5.14a1 on a PPC machine).
>If I
>> had to guess, I'd guess you're opening some other "testfile" than the
>one
>> you think you are.  Try giving the full path to the file that you
>want to
>> test and see what happens.
>
>I hate to do just a "me too" message.  But me too.  ;-)
>
>On the filename - I have often noticed that Perl defaults
>to it's own directory in referencing files.  If you do not
>(as Paul said) give the entire pathname, Perl will look in
>it's own directory for the file.  So try looking in the
>MacPerl directory for a blank "testfile".  :-)

You're both right.  The snippet I generated in my head for the email
was, in fact, correct.  The perl code in the program was not.  Within
minutes of posting my query, I realized my mistake and felt like a fool.

Thanks to those who responded; I appreciate your help!

Red faced,

-Aaron