Re: [MacPerl] GUI with Perl??

At 21:22 pm on 05.06.97 Jacob Miller <jacob@jacobco.com> said:

>I realize that perl is just a (semi) simple scripting language, but I was
>wondering if there was any way to add a GUI..  or more specifically an
>option to bring up a dialog box to select a file.  If anyone knows of some
>sources of info, webpages, downloadable manuals, etc.. that would help I
>would greatly appreciate it.

Since you posted to the MacPerl mailing list, the most appropriate
answer is, I think, an example from the MacPerl FAQ (v2.5):

 2.2.1) How do I request an input or output file under MacPerl?

 require 'StandardFile.pl';

 $infilename = &StandardFile::GetFile('TEXT','ttxt','ttro' , "Default file");
 $outfilename = &StandardFile::PutFile("Output file", "Default output file");

 The file, StandardFile.pl. is supplied in the lib folder. It presents a
 convenient front-end to the more primitive routine, MacPerl::Choose, which
 is discussed in pod:macperl.html.

You can find the (excellent) FAQ at:

 http://www.industrialstrengthsw.sk.ca/MacPerl/MacPerlFAQ.html

If you want to get more UNIX-specific, you're better off asking on
'comp.lang.perl.misc' Hint: Ask about Tk 8-).

Hope this helps.

tpg

--
guinn@mail.utexas.edu