Re: [MacPerl] Creating a Status Bar??

>ok.. I know I've asked a few questions in the last few days.. but this may
>be the last one for a bit.. I'm almost done..
>
>I was wondering if there was a way to add a graphical status bar (ie..
>something like when emptying the trash) to a perl script.
>
>I have a script that parses large files and prepares them to be imported
>into a database (sometimes the files can be as large as 2 meg)..  right
>now, the program just sits until its done and a then I have a window pop up
>letting the user know its done.  I'd like to add some type of status bar to
>let the user know how far along they are, and how much time is left.
>
>any information would be greatly appreciated.
>
>jacob
>
>.--- I N T E R N E T  S O L U T I O N S ---.
>|   Jacob & Co - http://www.jacobco.com/   |
>|     Email - mailto:jacob@jacobco.com     |
>'------------------------------------------'

Hello,

      I've just being doing some AppleScript programming - I'm using "The Tao
of AppleScript" as a reference (though I wouldn't recommend this book).
However,
on pp.69, an application called "Progress Bar 1.0.1" is scripted. So, to solve
your problem I'd

1. Locate "Progress Bar x.y.z" (x.y.z being current version)
2. Write AppleScript commands to automate this to do what I want.
3. Call this from MacPerl with DoAppleScript.

(Alternatively, you could use MPW, and write to STDOUT/STDERR. Or else using
the MacPerl Application, write percentages remaining to STDERR, or..)

Hope these suggestions are helpful.

Bob

          Bob Wilkinson, Perl Programmer, Pindar plc
Tel: +44 (0)1904 613040    Email: B.Wilkinson@pindar.co.uk
Fax: +44 (0)1904 613110    URL: http://www.connection.co.uk/bob