Re: [MacPerl] Creating a Status Bar??

At 11:31 am +0200 08.05.97, Bob Wilkinson wrote:
>>I was wondering if there was a way to add a graphical status bar (ie..
>>something like when emptying the trash) to a perl script.

	[ ... snip ... ]

>on pp.69, an application called "Progress Bar 1.0.1" is scripted. So, to solve
>your problem I'd
>
>1. Locate "Progress Bar x.y.z" (x.y.z being current version)
>2. Write AppleScript commands to automate this to do what I want.
>3. Call this from MacPerl with DoAppleScript.

I tried this solution a while back and found that if the progress bar was
updated at all frequently, the overhead involved in dispatching and
processing AppleEvents slowed down the whole task considerably. I can't
remember if I was sending AppleEvents or issuing AppleScript commands
(sending events directly should be quicker) but either way, I found it too
slow.

I tried some experiments with publicly-available XFCN's, but that didn't
work either (probably because the typical XFCN needs a window context that
it gets from HyperCard, but which MacPerl can't provide).

Matthias's new GUI components might offer a better solution. If I get a
moment, I might look into that, since I'd very much like to have a progress
reporter of some kind.

angus@pobox.com                             http://pobox.com/~angus

"If I repent anything, it is very likely to be my good behavior.
 What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?"     [H.D. Thoreau]