Re: [MacPerl] it works on _my_ machine . . .

> This may be a silly general Mac question.  I usually work on Unix, but I
> just wrote my first MacPerl script for a customer.  I confess I haven't
> delved into Mac internals much at all.  I wasn't expecting to do any
> commercial Mac work, and they want it _yesterday_, of course.
>
> The script takes  mailfiles and puts them in a tab-delimited format to
> be imported into a database.  I saved it as a droplet, and it works fine
> on my PowerMac 7200/90.  But when I put everything on the customer's
> 6100, the droplet doesn't highlight when a text file is dropped on it.
> Perl itself comes up OK.  I tried resaving the droplet and resaving the
> text files with various editors.  I'm running System 7.5.3 and they're
> running 7.6, if it makes a difference.
>
> Does MacPerl have to be installed with the installer?  I was afraid to
> break up the 2.3Mb installer file across two floppies, so I used
> CompactPro to archive a cleanly installed, unpacked Perl folder.
>
> What am I missing?

I don't know.  What I do know is this happened to me as well.  My
droplet worked on some machines, yet not others.

I found that *rebuilding* the droplet on effected machines was all
that was required.  Of course, that means installing MacPerl
temporarily on said machines.  Painfull, but it does work.  Yell
if you need more info.

Steve

(I found no correllation between *my* machines, Quadra 7.5.5 and
8500 7.5.5, with the "other" machines, running various MacOS
versions from 7.5.5 to 7.6 to 7.6.1!)