Re: [MacPerl] Cross-platform Perl applications

pr1@club-internet.fr (Philippe de Rochambeau) writes
>Has anyone ever tried creating an application in Perl that runs on several
>platforms (MacOS, Windows, Unix) simultaneously using, say, Tk, as a common
>interface? Are there any Windows Perl runtimes available that would run a
>MacPerl script? I would like to create a simple application that would let
>users consult a flat-file database.
>
>Many thanks.
>
>Philippe de Rochambeau

Hello,

      I do this all the time, though most of my scripts don't have GUI
interfaces. Is Tk available for the Mac yet (I remember that it was being
ported
by someone at Sun?)?.

     The Perl ports from activeware (www.activeware.com) work for command line
things under NT and 95. However, perl5.004 is supposed to compile out of
the box
for Windoze as well as Unix, and is now the recommended way to go.

     My advice for writing cross-platform scripts.

1. Avoid system dependent stuff as much as possible.
2. Where system dependent stuff is necessary, isolate it within blocks, and
select which OS you're running dependent on the $^O global parameter.

     I haven't had many problems developing stuff under Unix, then porting to
the Mac (or latterly to NT/95).

Bob

          Bob Wilkinson, Perl Programmer, Pindar plc
Tel: +44 (0)1904 613040    Email: B.Wilkinson@pindar.co.uk
Fax: +44 (0)1904 613110    URL: http://www.connection.co.uk/bob