Re: 68k perl5 (was Re: [MacPerl] Usenet: comp.lang.perl.mac)

schinder@pjstoaster.pg.md.us 12-JUN-1997 17:27:46.21:
Subj:	Re: 68k perl5 (was Re: [MacPerl] Usenet: comp.lang.perl.mac)

!}
!}P.S. (seriously): what is the state of the perl5 port to mac 68k ?
!}
!}
!
!The what?  You mean the port that's been out for so long I can't remember
!when it first came out?  Easily a year.  Or do you mean 5.004, which
!Matthias hasn't released yet for the PPC?
!
!MacPerl is fat.  Just slap it on a 68k and use it.  I've used it on mine
!since it first appeared, and the 5.001m port was released for both the PPC
!and 68k at about the same time.  The only thing the 68k port still can't do
!is shared libraries, but Matthias has compiled most of them into the 68k
!code.

Duh. Now I remember - I thought I had used a FAT perl5.
So here is yet another outdated reference:

  http://www.perl.org/CPAN/ports/mac/MacPerlFAQ.html

which mentions:

 "MacPerl4 runs on any Macintosh, including the PowerMacs. MacPerl5 runs
  on the same Macs mainly, with the exception of 68000-based machines.
  A 68000 savvy version of MacPerl5 will likely be available later in 1996."

Now the tough part: I don't have access to 68k mac (and at the moment I don't
have a PPC mac either) but I would like to know
the MPW tool (not MacPerl) there _is_ 5.001m and _is_ FAT?

 http://www.perl.org/CPAN/ports/mac/

 Mac_Perl_tool.bin      21-Jan-97 22:11   2.0M

I am grateful for your response.

Peter Prymmer