Re: [MacPerl] Usenet: comp.lang.perl.mac

garye@iname.com, pudge@pobox.com, mac-perl@iis.ee.ethz.ch
Gary Ebert writes recently:
>Hello all:
>
>I like the idea of a listserver much better (no get rich quick schemes,
>no stealing e-mail addresses for mass mailings, serious questions only
>-- usually, etc.).

nothing that is freely accessible is immune to this - p5p was recently
under an advert attack.

>I think that the gateway idea would just bring in hoards of RTFF (Read
>The F^&@#$*$ FAQ) questions -- you know like "where do I find MacPerl".
>If you take the time to look at comp.lang.perl.misc about 30 - 50% of
>the questions are RTFF or RTFM (M=manual).

"where do I find MacPerl" is a perfectly fine newsgroup question IMHO.

>I for one would love to see something like a moderated
>comp.lang.perl.misc  I would even read it every day; however, as it
>stands reading that group is a full-time job.  I would hate to see that
>happen to this list!

There already is a moderated list: comp.lang.perl.announce the traffic
there is quite light but extremely useful (mostly announcements of
useful new modules).  It is moderated mostly by Randal.  It does not
serve as a forum for newbies though.

In fact I think that is a problem with a lot of perl (and the perl
reorg RFD in particular): the experts who insist on pointing out
that a given question was mis-posted.  Clueless and clueful beginners
do need help.  I am not trying to suggest that they necessarily send
email to the macperl list, but I am trying to point out that a basic
perl help forum is necessary.  To a great extent that is served by Tom @
http://www.perl.com/perl/ as well as the new http://www.perl.org/
but 1) not everyone has access to http 2) there are a *lot* of old
"Gee perl is great" href=perlmetafaq type links out on the web (look
for perl at yahoo e.g.). The metaFAQ is severely out of date.  Many
books out on the bookshelves now (including the venerable pink Camel)
mention "comp.lang.perl" - a newsgroup that has not existed for years.
(The Win32 perl users are in even more of a mess.)

My opinion/recommendation boils down to: take it easy on beginners
do the right thing and try to help them.

(Hoping I can get my opinion out before the discussion on macperl
comes to a close :-)

Peter Prymmer

P.S. (seriously): what is the state of the perl5 port to mac 68k ?